How to get license to work as an IT specialist

The technology sector is very important to the Canadian economy and global technology talent is in high demand in Canada. In fact, there are several work permit options for people in IT fields, and the Canadian government expedites the processing of these permits.

The main work permit options for IT professions include the Global Talent Stream, CUSMA Specialists and intra-company transferees.

The global flow of talent

Global Talent Stream aims to help Canadian employers hire foreign technology talent. The Global Talent Stream allows certain skilled workers to receive a work permit within two weeks of applying.

In addition, under the Global Talent Stream, employers looking to hire IT professionals can qualify for the Rapid Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which aims to ensure that the entry of a foreign worker does not harm workers in Canada. does not hit

Examples of eligible technical occupations include software engineers and designers, computer programmers, media developers, information systems analysts and consultants, and computer and information systems managers.

CUSMA Professional

Under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), eligible nationals of the United States and Mexico can obtain a Canadian work permit. Work permits granted under CUSMA typically do not require an LMIA prior to application, meaning Canadian employers can employ foreign IT professionals much more quickly.

Under CUSMA, there is a list of about 60 professions or occupations that are eligible for a work permit called the CUSMA Professional Work Permit. Many of the jobs listed are related to information technology and include computer systems analysts, graphic designers, technical magazine writers, and computer engineers.

Transferring recipients within the company

Intra-company transfer (ICT) is another work permit option that does not require an LMIA. To be eligible for an ICT work permit, the foreign worker must have been employed by an overseas company for at least one year and there must be a qualifying relationship between the two companies (ie subsidiary, affiliate, parent or branch).

For an ICT work permit, there are three different categories that a worker may qualify for. The third category is for workers who have “specialized and proprietary knowledge of the company or its products,” and typically IT professionals can qualify for an ICT work permit through this.


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All rights reserved for ApplyClever ©️ 2022